Filmed: May 16-18, 2021 | Aired:
March 9, 2022
- Ep.1 Reward challenge: "Open Reward
Challenge" - Ika wins, on Rocksroy's construction skills,
hours before people complain about his construction
supervising at camp.
- Ep.1 "advantages": Drea, Lindsay, Hai
grab amulet curses, mid-RC.
- Ep.1 dilemma: Drea and Maryanne get extra
vote, thanks to Jenny's selflessness.
- Ep.1 medevac: Jackson leaves on morning
three, due to potential interactions between
starvation/dehydration and lithium.
- Ep.1 Immunity challenge: "Forty Two" -
Taku is first, Vati second. So Ika loses.
- Ep.1 voted out: Zach, 5-0, after playing
his Shot in the Dark (and thus not voting).
Episode 1 scoring notes
- The RC: Since only the first-place tribe won
something, no partial credit for second place. (But Vati
gets half-credit for not losing the IC.)
- **Jackson's medevac: As always with a
medevac/quit, Jackson's score is adjusted as if he was a
unanimous boot by his tribe (6 VAP, 6 TotV, 1 TCA).
- *Zach's Shot in the Dark: Zach was voted out
without ever casting a vote. As with Chris Noble, Thoriso
M-Afrika, and Sydney Segal, we also have to somewhat adjust
Zach's score to deal with this. Luckily, it's easy-ish:
Playing the Shot in the Dark counts as a Tribal Council
Appearance. He didn't cast a vote, but he was there, and
didn't vote for himself. 5 VAP, 5 TotV, 1 TCA.
- Zach received 5 votes, from Drea, Rocksroy, Romeo, Swati,
and Tori (voted out, 5-0*).
- (*Zach played his Shot in the Dark, wasn't safe, and was
unable to vote.)
Glossary of terms
- ChW: Challenge Wins. For tribal
challenges, a contestant earns a fraction of 1 win,
depending on if they participated (no points for sitting
out). So in a five-person tribe's win, each participant
gets (1/5) of a point, or 0.2 points. Duels (or
individual RCs as in Ep1) at Redemption Island count as
half a challenge (and half a win). Individual challenge
wins count as a full point.
- ChA: Challenge Appearances. Used
to calculate ChW%. Fractional for tribal challenges
(same as ChW), except sit-outs get charged for an
appearance, because they could have participated.
- ChW%: Challenge Win%. Simply,
ChW% = ChW / ChA.
- SO: The number of times a contestant
sat out of a challenge.
- VFB: Votes For Bootee. The
number of times the contestant has voted for the person
who was ultimately voted out. Applies only to initial
votes (no points for revotes in case of a tie). Special
case: In a final three TC, where only one vote is cast
(by the F3 IC winner), only that vote counts.
- VAP: Votes Against the Player.
The total number of tribal council votes cast against
the contestant. Again, only initial votes count (no
penalty for revotes), and here a hidden immunity idol
(if played) erases the votes. In the special case of a
final three tribal council above, only the F3 bootee
receives a vote against.
- TotV: Total votes cast during
the tribal councils the player has attended (again, only
initial votes count). Used to adjust for different vote
totals as tribes shrink.
- TCA: Tribal council appearances.
The number of times a contestant has attended tribal
council (at which they voted).
- TC%: Tribal Council percent.
Attempts to reward voting for the bootee (which players
controlling the vote almost always do), while punishing
receiving votes yourself. The formula is: TC% = [VFB -
(VAP/TotV)] / TCA.
- wTCR: weighted Tribal Council
Ratio. Very similar in intent to TC%, but calculated as
a ratio of VFB to VAP, while also scaling to a uniform
number of TC appearances. The formula is as follows:
wTCR =2* [VFB / (4+VAP)] x (14/TCA). I originally tried
(1+VAP) to avoid dividing by zero, but this overly
rewarded getting zero votes against relative to just one
vote against, which seemed silly. (4+VAP) scaled that
effect back comfortably. 14 was used as the scaling
factor for TC appearances because there are usually 14
episodes, then a final scaling factor of 2 to bring
maximal scores up to roughly even with ChW and JV% high
- JVF: Number of jury votes for
the contestant to win. Maximum nine (Earl Cole, Fiji),
- TotJ: Total number of jurors.
Necessary to not punish unanimous 7-juror winners (JT
- JV%: The percent of total jury
votes cast for the contestant, or Jur% = JVF/ TotJ. This
number is used, raw, in SurvSc, and is scaled in SurvAv
(multiplied by six) to make it similar in size to ChW
- Survival Score (SurvSc). It's simply
the sum of Challenge Win% (ChW%) + Tribal Council% (TC%)
+ Jury Vote%, for a maximum possible score of 2 (3 after
- Survival Average (SurvAv). It's a
simple sum of fractional Challenge Wins (ChW), weighted
TC Ratio (wTCR), and (eventually) a weighted Jury%. The
latter two max out at six points total, for a
theoretical maximum score of around 18 or so.