|January 26, 2005||- "Katie is a huge personality. From the minute we met her, she's writing poems, and telling jokes. She's like a comic. And, that could be really fun to have around, if the group is fun. If the group is serious, and you're the one popping off jokes at night, when everybody's trying to sleep? You're gone...."||- Jeff Probst's pre-game comments on the contestants, from the official CBS site.|
|January 14, 2005||-
Unlike reporters in other areas who plugged in a generic AP article,
Modesto Bee reporter Marijke Rowland gets off her butt and interviews
a contestant's friends and co-workers:
"Merced Native Mum On Time As 'Survivor'
Merced native and resident Katie Gallagher is among 20 contestants who will fight to outwit, outlast and outplay one another for $1 million on the new season of the reality hit "Survivor."
...But it didn't take long for news of Gallagher's "Survivor" status to make the rounds. Radio Merced manages six Merced-area radio stations, and she was the big story on affiliated 92.5 FM The Bear's morning show.
'Everybody is very excited about it,' said Chad Gammage, a Radio Merced sales manager who works with Gallagher. 'Somebody from Merced, a local, is going to be on the big screen. It's fun.'
By afternoon, Gallagher had to leave work because of phone calls to her office.
...Friends said Gallagher, who auditioned for the show in its third season, is a big fan and a perfect fit for the grueling reality series.
'She is just a natural,' said Merced resident Lori Rossi, a friend of Gallagher's for the past 20 years. 'She is just someone who is not afraid to take a chance and throw it out there.'
...'She is, without a doubt, the funniest person I know; the kind of funny that when you're sitting around her your stomach hurts from laughing,' said Rossi, a real estate agent for Century 21 Salvadori Realty. 'She is the life of the party.'
...Jerry Deal, Playhouse Merced's marketing and development director, said he met Gallagher in 2003. He said their first meeting set the tone for their friendship. 'I met her at a bar in town,' he said. 'She came over and started screaming in my ear, "I want to know you! Who are you?" I said, "OK, this is a crazy person." But we ended up getting to know each other and she has become one of my very good friends. She is meant to entertain.'
Deal said Gallagher told friends and family about trying out for the show in Fresno in the summer. Then, in mid-October, she said she was going on 'vacation.' She returned — with a tan — just before Christmas. But Gallagher won't be sharing her 'vacation' stories any time soon. Even her roommate had to sign a confidentiality agreement; her roommate is Denise Rossi, Lori's sister.
Deal said Gallagher has told him she is glad to have the creature comforts of home again.
'She is so happy to be eating,' he said. 'She is like, "I just want food and beer."'
Friends predict that Gallagher should do well on the show. Deal and Lori Rossi are organizing a private party for about 150 friends to watch the premiere."
|- Marijke Rowland, Modesto Bee|
|December 29, 2004||-
SurvivorSucks poster "valleybiatch" continues
her series of posts about a Merced-based Katie Gallagher, who upon
further research by
Ultimatesurvivor5, appears to be the right
one. SurvivorFever.net later posts a different picture of the same
- "I have a source in Merced that says she's the one. I'll put money on it. Here's another double theory fact (for all of you into that): she worked as a camp counselor with kids. Didn't Ian?"
- "29 years old. Born in Merced, CA; HS in Irvine, CA; college at Monmouth in NJ(won a national award for radio production); lives in Merced now. Worked with kids as a camp counselor while in college. Taught outdoor education. Hobbies: musical theater, camping, hiking, traveling. Currently works in radio advertising. Single."
- "Semifinalist for Africa and went to the open casting call in Fresno for this season. Told everybody at the bar it was her mission to get on Survivor. She left for "vacation" at the end of October and came back two weeks ago."
|- SurvivorSucks EZ board|
|December 23, 2004||-
A new SurvivorSucks poster named "valleybiatch"
pops up to describe a Katie Gallagher, potentially the one on Survivor:
- "Doesn't seem to be much info out there on Katie G. I met a girl named Katie Gallagher this summer who was a huge survivor fan. Blonde, flower in her hair, very funny. She said she had been a semi-finalist for Survivor Africa...Told me she tried out for this season at the open casting call in Fresno."
- "I met her at a bar, and she was with a whole bunch of people from the local theater group. They had just finished A Chorus Line. She must be into drama / musical theater. From what I remember, her hair is long, curly. She had this huge white flower pinned in her hair. Medium-build, curvy, big chest. Looks sorta like Jenna from the first Survivor, but prettier. Big smile. Talked alot."
|- SurvivorSucks EZ board|
|December 12, 2004||- Name revealed by "Not Mark Burnett" on the Survivornews.net S10 Contestant Confirmator.||- SNN|